Wednesday, September 16, 2009

AAQI




My little dancing girl (I really don't want to see a dancing girl, but I do!) was made as a fundraiser for The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I didn't mention it in the earlier post because I was waiting for permission from Sue Spargo, which she gladly gave. She is making labels for me to put on the back, then it will be ready to register and mail.

I'm sure most of you know about AAQI but did you also know that they have raised more then $305, 000 for Alzheimer's research?! For a grassroots effort that is truly amazing. It goes back to the spirit of quilters and their generosity. Ami Simms started this effort and it has grown by leaps and bounds. Now it isn't a single woman show but a registered non profit organization. There is a lot more legitimacy with this title and they have control over where the money raised goes.

It is estimated that 5.3 million Americans have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
Recently my mom was diagnosed with this disease. The future is unknown for my mother and the rest of our family. The one thing I do know? I can make quilts to help the cause.
I need a name for the quilt. Sue calls the whole quilt Mercer Lane. Maybe something about Mercy?? Any ideas. Naming quilts isn't my strong point.








10 comments:

  1. Lori
    It breaks my heart whenever I have to deal with patients that have mental changes such as Alzheimer's. I had written before and told you, as well as others, that we all saw the dancing girl. So you could embrace both of those ideas...can you imagine your mother as a little girl...dancing in a meadow just for the joy of it? Dancing in the rain because it made her happy, throwing her head back to catch raindrops or maybe snowflakes, on her tongue? Beautiful job on the block, good luck with a name, big hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I am sorry to hear about your mom, but I applaud your efforts to help. I took am not very good at naming quilts, that's why I am such a good consumer. See pattern, buy pattern, make pattern.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad has Alzheimer's, too. The name that comes to mind for me is, "No Mercy" because of the disease. Your quilt is so cute. Maybe "Forgot How to Dance".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt turned out great! I can see the dancing girl, too. I am no help with the name, but like the other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely see the dancing girl in this quilt. Both my grandmother and my husband's grandmother had this awful disease. It affects the entire family. Any name that can bring a smile to your face is a good one. I really like the references to dancing...maybe "Dancing on Mercer Street"? It will reference back to the original pattern, but put your vision on it, too.

    Good luck with your mom, you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great quilt , so nice of you to make this to help raise money for such a good cause
    I am not good at naming quilts either.
    mercy, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not clever with names either. What a worthy cause, I'm in the same boat as you with my mum. This wee quilt made me smile, thanks LOri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for making a quilt to help us fight this vile disease. And thank you for telling your readers what we are trying to do. I hope they will join us too!

    Ami Simms

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!